Since its launch in May 2007, Crossover has attracted widespread attention amongst TV and film producers, games developers, new media designers and other creative professionals. It has secured support from broadcasters, advertising agencies, screen, regional and national funding agencies. So far, over 200 people have participated in labs in the UK, Sweden, Canada and Australia; several hundred have attended related events and pitching competitions, and over 500 have joined various Facebook groups. Crossover has become a significant international focus for a growing community of producers, buyers and publishers inventing creative formats and business models for cross-platform media. It is a unique and growing international community of creative leaders and entrepreneurs playing key roles in developing the market for digital media, combining the best of classic linear film and TV talent with digital natives, expert in emerging social and interactive media.
In 2008/09 the Crossover programme included:
- 3 residential labs for independent producers in the UK: Docs, Kids and Play
- 3 international residential labs: Nordic, Australia and Canada
- 2 residential labs for Channel 4 Commissioning Editors
- 2 idea generation workshops for 4IP (Channel 4’s new fund for non-broadcast interactive media products and services)
- pitching events at the Sheffield Doc/Fest, the Nordic Panorama, BAFTA and the Australian International Documentary Festival
- workshop seminars for InSync, Showcomotion and the London Games Festival
- the DigiDocs strand of the Doc/Fest in Sheffield.